Before getting started on an interior design project, whether it be for your home, office, or business space, it is important to have a plan in place. You should be aware of all steps involved in the process as well as anything that could arise during it. In addition to this, it is important to have a budget in place and stick to that. In the end, you will be extremely happy you followed a plan from the start, rather than planning as you go.
- Understand the Space You’re Working With. First things first, you must decide which room you are going to design. Once that has been decided, get to fully understand that space you will be working with. Know it inside and out. Take measurements, dimensions, and even take note where the outlets and switches are located. Knowing the space so well will help you when it comes to deciding what exactly is going into that space, whether it be new furniture, paint, floor coverings, etc. You should also make a list of the items you will be filling in that space with.
- Decide What Will Take Place There. What is the intended purpose for the room? If it is a bedroom, then the most obvious purpose will be sleeping. If it is a family room, you will most likely want a television, however many people also want to make the room friendly to playing games, reading, etc. Consider all of the activities that will take place in that room prior to the design project.
- Write Out Your Plan. Having a well written out plan will help you visualize everything throughout the process. You can draw an actual floor plan for where things will go.
- Make sure to choose lighting wisely. Having good lighting is key for being able to fully enjoy the space, navigate throughout the room, and set a good ambience.
- Choose the Pieces and Materials. Last but not least, you should select what furniture, window treatments, floor coverings, decor, and materials will be used. For example, if you are looking to create a stone fireplace, you should price out the materials ahead of time that will best fit the space and your budget. Faux stone paneling is a highly sought after option, as it is extremely affordable and looks and feels exactly like real stone. It can also be applied on your own. At the end of your design project, you will be so happy you created this well thought out plan and stuck with it!